Saturday, January 12, 2013

Mmmmmhmmmm Delicious!

Since I love to cook everyone is always asking me what my favorite recipe is...and I'll have to say it's one which has been passed down in my family from my great grandma to my grandmother, to my mother and finally to me. And it's nothing horribly complex or even special about this recipe. Other than the memories that accompany it.  Well I will have to say, I will not eat any other chocolate cake than this one. It's moist and for some reason it beats Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines to pieces. This is a recipe that my family asks for time and time again. In fact if I would dare to make a chocolate cake without this recipe, they might just refuse to eat it.  So from my house to yours - try it. See if you can taste the difference.

Hot Water Devil's Food Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 3 heaping tbsps of cocoa*
  • 1 cup of boiling water 
  • 1 rounded tsp of baking soda.

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat 9 x 13 inch pan with butter and flour.
  • Combine all ingredients - mix well.  Pour into greased pan
  • Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

*You can also substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce  or  3 tablespoons of cinnamon to have a applesause cake or a cinnamon spice cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment